01 Mar, 2012
Giveaway alert! And a bit about the Children’s Arts Tax Credit
Posted by andrea tomkins in: Giveaways and product reviews
Some of you probably already know about the Children’s Fitness Tax Credit, but did you know there’s one for Arts programs as well? (Confession: I did not know this before now!)
Parents with children under the age of 16 can receive a credit for up to $75 per child. Artistic and cultural activities include literary arts, visual arts, performing arts, music, media, languages, customs and heritage.
What programs are eligible? Well, good question. I was wondering that too. Here’s how they lay it out.
Eligible activities include an activity that:
- contributes to the development of creative skills or expertise in artistic or cultural activities;
- provides a substantial focus on wilderness and the natural environment;
- helps children develop and use particular intellectual skills;
- includes structured interaction among children where supervisors teach or help children develop interpersonal skills; or
- provides enrichment or tutoring in academic subjects.
That means that things like piano lessons and drama camp are eligible. Cool eh?
This video explains it all, clear as a bell. You really should watch it, because it explains things better than I can. Besides, numbers and taxes make my head hurt. Especially when I haven’t had a coffee.
You can find more info about the Children’s Arts Tax Credit on the Canada Revenue Agency website. And if you’re not sure if a particular program your child is enrolled in fits the bill, I recommend you call and ask the organizers.
Now the giveaway part! kbs+p (the advertising agency for the Canada Revenue Agency) has sponsored this post but I’m flipping the income over to you. Awhile back, on the Fishbowl Facebook page I asked you guys to vote on what kind of gift card you covet most. I thought you’d go for groceries (I would have bought $100 worth of cheese myself) but the majority rules here. Chapters.ca won!
- This giveaway is for one (1) $100 gift card for Chapters.
- This giveaway is open to Canadian residents but is void in Quebec. (Here’s why.)
- To enter this giveaway, all you need to tell someone else about the Children’s Arts Tax Credit. You can blog about it, send out a tweet (mention me @missfish!), post a quickie Facebook status update with a link to this post, whatever! You MUST let me know what you did in the comments below otherwise your entry will not qualify.
- I will do a random draw of all qualifying comments at noon EST on Thursday March 8, 2012 and mail the gift card to the winner.
Sound good? Over to you!
- >Canadian giveaway alert: behold the brunch smackdown! Edited to add, October 5: Well, the results are in!...
- >An Ottawa giveaway from 4Cats Arts Studio Entries are closed. We have a winner! Woot! I've written...
- >Ottawa Giveaway alert: an artful experience at 4Cats Arts Studio Fishbowl patron 4Cats Arts Studio is behind this amazing giveaway....
- >Ottawa Giveaway alert: give a little h’art for Valentine’s Day This giveaway is brought to you by longtime Fishbowl patron...