19 Nov, 2010
Know More Do More: two minutes for me
Two KMDM posts in one week! Welcome to Crazytown!
I made up my own tip this week. It’s just about me. Even though I know that the activities are supposed to be family-oriented I am giving the family a short break and focusing on where it really counts: on mom.
If I’m not happy, no one is happy. If I’m tired or sick stuff doesn’t get done and we all suffer for it. That’s why this KMDM update is about some tiny habits I’m trying to start for myself that will build me up; make me happier, stronger and healthier, and give me what I need to Be A Good Parent.
And it all happens in the morning. In two minutes. Want to try it with me?
Here’s my tip:
Take two minutes for yourself and Do Those Things You Know You Need To Do before you start your day.
Awhile ago I was talking to someone about vitamin D and how important it is. I know I need to take it every day, but I don’t. Why can’t I remember?
So I affixed a post-it note on the inside of the medicine cabinet to remind me. I never miss it, no matter how tired and bleary I’m feeling. That note provides the reminder I need, so I got to thinking, why not add a few other things I should be doing too? So now I:
- Take my vitamin D (it’s good for me!) and wash it down with…
- … a full glass of water (it’s good for me!)
- apply sunscreen/moisturize (it’s good for my skin!)
- take deeeeeep breaths (it’s good for me!)
- stretch (half a sun-salutation a.k.a reaching high for the sky while breathing - it’s good for me too!)
This really only takes a minute or two at the very most. And it feels great. I am also trying to:
- brush my teeth as soon as I wake up
I would like to clarify that I never forget to brush my teeth, but I’m trying to do it as soon as I get up now because I found it annoying to remember later and rush back up the stairs. So to summarize: I’m now also giving myself mini facial massages (smearing moisturizer on my forehead while I take deep breaths is so relaxing for some reason) and doing yoga moves in the bathroom.
I have been doing this for a few days and I’m really loving it. I am now adding:
- a set of 12 squats
… because I’ve been to see Sarah Zahab and it’s part of a fitness regimen that I’m supposed to be doing and not actually doing very much of AT ALL. Gah. But if I’m taking my vitamins can’t I do 12 freakin’ squats? I MUST.
- >Vitamin D vs. skin cancer Never before have I noticed so many crazed sunscreen slathering...
- >Know More Do More Mondays: the it’s Tuesday after the long-weekend edition I know. It's Tuesday. But yesterday was May 2-4 weekend...
- >Am feeling like this: We're back from Holiday Part Deux. Show n' tell...
- >Know More Do More: dance your face off This was this weeks KMDM activity: Have a dance-off in...