12 Aug, 2010
Ottawa Brain Drain
Posted by andrea tomkins in: Ottawa
ETA: if you’d like to view the invite and RSVP online, do check out our Tweetvite for this event. Thanks!
This is something I’ve been meaning to do for a long time.
Many moons ago I was the co-director of an Ottawa-area women-in-tech group called DigitalEve. DigitalEve has long since gone the way of the dodo, but the core idea still resonates with me: the sharing of information between like-minded people can be very effective, powerful, and even fun.
At DigitalEve we hosted a couple of really interesting tech-related events. One was a speed networking night, the other we just called Coffee Talk. Although the time/location/theme of our Coffee Talks always differed it was always one of the most successful events. The talks were great: really informative, and dare I say, fun. (If you know me IRL you’ll know that I’m not that good at socializing with strangers, but seriously, even if you’re shy, it is FUN. Besides, you get to meet people just like you!)
There is already a post BlogHer recap being planned for Irene’s on the 18th. I would have liked to attend but can’t make it. But I’d like to offer up my brain anyway (as well as fellow blogger/BlogHer attendee Shannon/@zchamu’s brain) on the evening of the Wednesday August 25th. We’re calling it the Ottawa Brain Drain. Maybe there will be more Ottawa Brain Drains in the future? Who knows. Let’s start with this one and see where it goes.
Here’s what you need to know:
- 1) It’s totally informal. Bring yourself, and maybe some questions/ideas to share.
- 2) Men and women are both welcome. This isn’t just about BlogHer, in fact, it doesn’t even matter if you attended BlogHer. Shannon and I both did and have plenty to say about it and are ready to answer any questions you may have. I like to think of this as an information exchange for all levels, no matter where you’re at…
- 3) … so let’s try to keep to the subject of blogging and social media.
- 4) It’s free. But I won’t say no if you offer to buy me a drink. ;)
This is an additional opportunity to ask questions and learn from people who’ve been to BlogHer and are active in the blogging and social media world. I hope you take us up on our offer, because Shannon and I love to meet people like us who are passionate about social media.
Who’s in? Leave your info below and/or check out our Tweetvite for this event.
Ottawa Brain Drain!
Date/Time: Wednesday August 25, 2010 at 7:00 p.m. (Lots of time to read all the BlogHer recaps and gather your thoughts!)
Location: The Fox & Feather on Elgin St.
Hosts: Shannon and I.
- >As if I didn’t have enough to do, eh? So. I am part of a small committee who's organizing...
- >Social Capital Conference 2012 is here! Last year I had the good fortune to find myself...
- >Yes, that was me Thank you everyone for your kind tweets and emails about...
- >Ottawa giveaway alert: $100 worth of spending money from terra20! But first, here's something else that's green that I like....