07 May, 2010
Mother’s Day is here once again
I had a fun little article published in last month’s issue of Ottawa Magazine.
A few months ago the editor asked me to go shopping with a specific question in mind: what would an Ottawa mommyblogger want to receive for Mother’s Day? (HELL-O. I love these kinds of assignments. If you know me at all you probably know how much I love great design and pretty things.)
I wanted to focus on some local businesses for this piece so I set my sights on Westboro and West Wellington, grabbed a coffee and went on my merry way. By foot. (Ow.)
I shopped. And dropped. And brought everything home. The editor took it away to be photographed. I wrote the blurbs and was photographed too (more on that later. Maybe). And that’s pretty much all there was to it.
Here’s the online version of the spread. I tried to cover some different price points. (Although I harbour a deep desire for a Vespa, a fancy bicycle, a Disney cruise, and a train trip in the Rockies I tried to keep myself in check.) Everything pictured is something I’d be happy to receive as a gift from a loved one. Or a perfect stranger for that matter.
The painting by Ottawa artist Andrew King is my hands-down favourite. Sadly (for me) it sold long ago. The title is #4 Barrhaven. HA. DOUBLE HA. Just look at those little people! And that teeeny OC-Transpo bus so far away on the snowy horizon! You know the driver just had a 10 minute coffee break right? And that it’s -20? And that the bus is probably full and is going to drive right by without stopping? My god it cracks me up. WELCOME TO OTTAWA.
There are a few items missing from the final piece, either because they were things I wanted and weren’t in stock or they didn’t fit into the layout:
- A pair of VERY pretty earrings and necklace from Ottawa jewelry designer Brenda Wong that I picked up at Wall Space Gallery. I wish I had a photo. They featured my birthstone, a peridot, and had just the right amount of sparkled and dangle. LOVE.
- A red Le Creuset dutch oven from Kitchenalia - an amazing store for those who like to bake/cook/entertain.
- A stack of salty caramels from The Candy Store.
I also want to mention that the necklace I’m wearing in the photo is one I received from Blend Creations! (Not Westboro, but woot!)
What would you like to receive for Mother’s Day?
I know I just listed off a whole bunch of material goods, but do you know what I really want for Mother’s Day? A sparkling clean house! Scratch that. I would love for someone to whisk our family away for a wonderful holiday and THEN I would like to come home to a house that has been scrubbed within an inch of its life.
Dare to dream, right?
Speaking of Mother’s Day, don’t forget to check out the sweet Mother’s Day giveaway I have going right now. It’s not too late to enter! ETA: we have a winner!
Have a great weekend everyone!
- >A Mother’s Day Giveaway from Ten Thousand Villages Mother's Day is Sunday May 10th! Moms: Do you know...
- >Mother’s Day 2011 I decided that I wanted to log - photographically -...
- >A few random Mother’s Day gift-giving tips/ideas for the Dads Over the past few months I've learned that there are...
- >Giveaway alert: Tweet chic by Blend Creations You might remember how much I like the jewelry design...