08 Jan, 2009
Essential truths about bread baking
Posted by andrea tomkins in: - iKnead
(an evolving list)
1. Follow the instructions as they are written in the recipe.
2. If you are wearing black you will spill flour on yourself. Wear an apron.
3. A slightly-warmed oven is a good place to let the dough rise. But turn the interior light on, because you never know if someone will decide to preheat the oven to bake a roast.
4. Wash bowls and utensils ASAP after using them. If you don’t, you will inadvertantly discover a little-known scientific formula: flour+yeast+water=concrete.
5. Day-old bread makes great French toast.
6. Punching down the dough is lots of fun.
- >Easy recipe for naan bread Let's be crystal clear about one thing. I don't have...
- >Recipe for Oat and Molasses Bread (This is the bread I mentioned in yesterday's post.) Oat...
- >No fail recipe for flour “tortilla pitas” I'd felt the need to bake something fresh and bread-like...
- >Pizza dough recipe - the best thus far I have to admit, I always feel a ping of...