06 Feb, 2013
Giveaway alert: a small gift of reading… from Kobo
Posted by andrea tomkins in: Giveaways and product reviews
We have a winner! Thanks for your entries everyone!
We are a bookish family here at Casa Fishbowl… and we like our gadgets too. So when I was offered the chance to test drive the new Kobo Mini eReader I had to take it.
I’ve had several generations of Kobos in my hands over the past few years. I wasn’t overly pleased with the first one, I found it bulky and clicky, but they got better and better as time went on. Mark has a black Kobo Touch and really likes it and uses it almost exclusively for library reads.
The one I’m writing about today, the Kobo Mini, is really sweet and I’m quite taken with it. There’s something that’s especially alluring about its compact size. BEHOLD:
It is quite irresistible, even though Piper doesn’t know what to make of it. As soon as my eldest daughter spotted it she picked it up and started reading. It is a READING MAGNET. The Parent Tested Parent Approved™ (PTPA) community gave the new Kobo Mini a seal of approval for ease-of-use for even the youngest of family members. I can totally see the girls getting a lot of use out of the Kobo Mini.
Personally, I didn’t know if I’d like the smaller screen, but once I got comfortable with it I realized it has some serious advantages.
(1) In a strange way, having fewer words on a page makes it easier for me to focus my attention on them. I’m a bit of an ADD reader so anything that keeps me on the page is a good thing in my books.
(2) It’s very light, and the smaller size makes it miles easier for me to hold in one hand. It’s very easy to read in bed, especially if you’re like me and tend to read on your side. It’d be the perfect size to slip into a purse or pocket too, which makes it ideal for travellers… or anyone who likes to read on the go. This one is quite pleasant to hold in your hand, which I appreciate because the first generation Kobo wasn’t.
Some nitty gritty via the Kobo people:
- The 5” Kobo Mini is the smallest, lightest full-featured eReader in the world
- With Kobo Mini’s glare-free E Ink touchscreen, it’s just like reading print on paper—even in direct sunlight [Agreed. It is very easy on the eyeballs.]
- The Kobo Mini is fully customizable and allows you to choose from 7 font styles and 24 font sizes, as well as exclusive weight and sharpness settings so you can adjust the text to suit your eyes
- The Kobo Mini is sleek and stylish with the option of 3 interchangeable SnapBacks in a range of colours to suit anyone’s reading style
- Readers have direct access to the Kobo eBookstore from the Kobo Mini with a Wi Fi connection—and a storage capacity for up to 1,000 eBooks
Me: I love the built in dictionary! I use it all the time. In fact, this is what I miss most when I’m reading paper books! I’m also looking forward to trying the Facebook integration. :)
Here’s something that’s good to know: the Kobo Mini eReader will be available for only $59.99 from January 25 to February 14, and as an added Valentine’s Day bonus, consumers can customize the Kobo Mini with a complimentary, colourful Kobo SnapBack.
But this is a giveaway, and I have one to give to one lucky reader! If you are interested in having a Kobo Mini eReader of your very own, please read on.
- This giveaway is for ONE (1) Kobo Mini eReader, and is open to anyone residing in Canada but is void in Quebec. (Here’s why.)
- In order for your entry to qualify you must answer the following question in the comments below: If you win this giveaway, what’s the first thing you will read on your Kobo Mini? You can leave a link to a book you’ve been coveting, tell me about a new title, whatever!
- One entry per family please. We want lots of people to have the opportunity to win.
- If you can’t post your comment here for whatever reason, you can email it to me for posting. Send it to andrea at quietfish dot com … however I cannot be responsible if your entry is misdirected or gets stuck in my Spam folder.
- Good karma goes to those who tweet or post about this on Facebook. Do you know someone who would appreciate the chance to win one of these? I bet you do. Forward this info to them! They will love you, especially if they won. Personally, I’m thinking this could be a great present for Valentine’s Day. Forget roses… give the gift of reading! You can even give it to someone preloaded with something romantic for Valentine’s Day (!).
I will do a random draw of all qualifying entries using Random.org at noon EST on February 13, 2013.
Sound good? Over to you. Good luck!
- >Ottawa giveaway alert - the sweet gift of time from Tradex Fishbowl patron Tradex is hosting this little giveaway. As we...
- >Ottawa Giveaway alert: Date Night and a gift from SewnNatural I came across local crafter Jennifer C. awhile back during...
- >Another holiday giveaway! Toshiba Thrive Tablet review and giveaway Christmas came early here at Casa Fishbowl. A few weeks...
- >Ottawa Giveaway alert: give a little h’art for Valentine’s Day This giveaway is brought to you by longtime Fishbowl patron...