07 Dec, 2012
ROCK AND ROLL. It’s another Ottawa giveaway!
Thanks for your entries! We have our winners!
I recently had the pleasure of attending a sneak preview of the newly renovated Vale Earth Gallery at the Canadian Museum of Nature. I was thrilled to have the opportunity to check it out. Not only is the Museum a longtime patron of mine, but we are big fans here at Casa Fishbowl.
The Vale Gallery (pronounced Vall-eh by the way, I always thought it rhymed with SHALE or HAIL) has always been one of our favourite places to visit. With rocks, minerals, and precious gems aplenty, my kids have taken to referring to it as the World’s Best Rock Collection. With just cause. There is major kid appeal here (I mean really, what kid hasn’t come home with a pocketful of rocks??) but grownups will surely ooh and ahh over the amazing collections. There is plenty of sparkle, and lots of learning.
Here are just a few of the things families can explore together. You can:
- build a volcano
- create an earthquake
- check out the Sedimentator, Magmanator and the Metamorphicator - they are really neat. Cool magma to make granite! Cook a rock to create a new one!
- watch a mineral grow
- explore a limestone cave with stalactites, stalagmites, and trickling water.
I’m afraid my photos won’t do the new gallery much justice. I was so focused on the specimens I forgot to take a step back and see the big picture. (I hate to say it, but they’re a bit of a show stealer…)
It is truly awesome to see how nature can create something so gorgeous… the colours! The symmetry! And the TIME involved. It boggles my mind.
Anyway I have good news for you. I was given extra tickets to give away to some Fishbowl readers. Interested? Please read the necessary nitty gritty:
- This giveaway is for TWO double passes to the Museum. Each pass is for TWO admissions to the Museum, including Vale Earth as well as Nature Unleashed but does not include admission to the 3D movies.
- In order for your entry to qualify, please leave a comment below telling me WHEN you last went to the museum and what you saw. Was it last week? Last month? Never? (If that’s the case, why haven’t you been??) OR you can also take the space to brag about your rock collection. Your choice.
- This giveaway is void in Quebec, sorry.
- If you can’t post your comment for whatever reason you can email it to me for posting at andrea at quietfish dot com. Please note, I cannot be responsible if your entry is misdirected or gets stuck in my Spam folder!
- One entry per person please! We want lots of people to have the opportunity to win.
- Did you know that the Museum of Nature is on Facebook and Twitter too? If you want advance notice of cool things happening there, contests, and other great insider scoop I strongly suggest you follow them.
That’s it! I will draw two names using Random.org at noon EST on Friday December 14, 2012 and mail the passes to the winners.
For those who don’t win you should be aware that children 3-12 get in for half price until December 24, 2012. This includes Nature Unleashed and 3D movies too. Kids two and under always get in for free.
What’s more, if you buy or renew your membership right now you get an extra month for free. That’s 13 months of fun for the price of 12! But you only have until January 6 to take advantage of this deal.
Thank you to our friends at the Museum of Nature for this great family-friendly giveaway! Now over to you!
- >Ottawa Giveaway alert: an idea for your next date night, from the Museum of Nature We have a winner! Thanks everyone! This giveaway is now...
- >A giveaway from our friends at the Museum of Nature Thanks for your entries! We have a winner! Some of...
- >Welcome to a new patron: the Museum of Nature I'm so pleased to be writing about the Museum of...
- >Ottawa Giveaway alert: Date Night and a gift from SewnNatural I came across local crafter Jennifer C. awhile back during...