18 Jun, 2012
Nine things for Operation Trim: Part two of #5 (Breadless!)
I was at the grocery store at 11:30 a.m. the other day when I realized I was absolutely starving. My first thought was “I’ll just make a sandwich when I get home” which was immediately followed up by “wait a second, I am not eating bread right now, remember?”
I had to quickly figure out what I was going to eat, and I didn’t want to spend the extra effort to make a soup or something that was going to take a lot of time to prepare.
I remembered what we had for dinner the night before (broiled salmon fillets, a really delicious pasta dish, and stir fried vegetables) and realized there was a small portion of salmon left over. What could I make with it in under three minutes that would taste REALLY GOOD?
That’s when I had a huge a-ha moment. I could make a breadless sandwich out of it, or a riceless sushi roll, or both!
What would you call this thing? I guess it’s kind of a salmon roll. Kind of.
Forgive the photos, I was starving and drooling while I was taking them. It doesn’t look like much, but BOY:
.. was it good. It was however, impossible to roll. Oh well. It was delicious. Next time I will try to fold it this way, in a cone shape.
Nevermind that. Allow me to deconstruct. This roll consists of:
- one piece of nori
- a hunk of cold broiled salmon
- leaf lettuce
- one piece of green onion (it was going crazy on my windowsill)
- a sprinkling of fresh cilantro
- a tiny bit of soy sauce
I must make this again next time we have leftover salmon.
My other bread-less sandwich last week was ham and cheese. I used a large lettuce leaf instead of bread. I added a swipe of dijon and it totally did the trick. Behold:
Now I need to put my thinking cap on and figure out what other breadless lunches I make for myself this week. I’m keeping track of them in a Flickr set as I go. The question is, how many can I do before I blow it? ;)
- >So this is what I had for lunch today ... and it was very good. I always feel better...
- >Crusts: love ‘em or leave ‘em? Subtitle: What To Do With All Of The Crusts Your...
- >Will they eat it: Thai salmon burger sliders Well well. Remember my splendid dinner failure the other...
- >Nine things for Operation Trim: #6 - Perchance to sleep Remember waaaay back when I was writing about Operation Trim?...