23 Jun, 2011
The West-end Urban Tree Challenge
After the whole saga with our tree the other day I got to thinking about a few things. (1) I am terrible at tree identification, and I think I should be better at it. (2) Where, in our neighborhood are the best and biggest specimens? (3) Can I find a way to identify and share them with you guys?
That’s where my urban tree map idea started. My goal here is to:
To that effect I created a Google Map document and marked down a few significant trees that I knew about:
Can you help me identify some great trees in the area that’s outlined on the map above? (I’m thinking ahead to biking distances.) I’d be happy to get a dozen different specimens. And when we get to 12, my family will be climbing on our bikes and going on a tree-related scavenger hunt. And you can too! Woot!
If you know of a great tree, please plot it on the map! (Which should be fully editable if you have a Google account. Let me know if it doesn’t work for you.)
And because I need serious help in this area, I am using technology to lend a hand! I just downloaded an app called LeafSnap to help with this process. And if that doesn’t work, I’m going to the library. :)
Do you live in the area? Can you help? Add to the map!
- The tree should be easily viewable from public property i.e. not in someone’s private backyard)
- Please share as much information as you can in the description of your pin (like species and age of tree if you know it)
- Pick the biggest and best specimens you can! Variety is good.:)
If you aren’t the tree-hugging type, please consider forwarding this information to someone who is. The more people who are in on this, the better. Thank you!
- >Branching off to chat about urban arboriculture A long time ago, say, forty or fifty years ago,...
- >Best place to pick your own Christmas tree in Ottawa* * or (as Ikea put it recently), if you don't...
- >In which bigger is not better Further to this post. When we went skiing at Westboro...
- >The Secret My children are obsessed with these trees. When they...